Sunday, June 11, 2006

Dress for the moment.

I was in a clothing store this weekend and saw an ad with the phrase "Dress for the moment" on it.

Dress for the moment. Do we ever actually dress for one single moment? Does wearing a rain coat count as dressing for the moment when it starts raining? No, because you've actually dressed for the whole time it's raining, which is more than just one moment.

Ok, so maybe what it really meant was dress for the occasion. If it's going to be cold, put on a sweater, if you're going to the beach don't wear your snow suit, etc etc.

I can see a clothing ad company working with that. But when you put the image in this ad together with the phrase this is when the total, utter, and complete confusion sets in.

I can't for the life of me figure out what 'moment' this girl was dressed for. She was stretched out on her side in a pair of panties and a bra in the middle of a desert surrounded by small bushes and tumbleweed.

What is the moment here? First of all, if you're in the desert I think you might want to cover up a little more or else you're going to get a nasty burn or worse, a full fledged case of sun stroke. Yes, I am the function over fashion type. I've racked my brains and I can't come up with a moment when it would be necessary to just chill out in your underwear in the desert. Maybe she was doing her laundry.

If it were my ad company I'd fire the moron who created that ad. Actually I probably wouldn't, but I'd definitely give them a complete list of what's appropriate to wear in which situations, because if this person is under the impression that underwear is good desert attire they're probably regularly getting themselves into awkward situations. This guy would be the guy in the snow suit at the beach, dressed like a biker at a cocktail party, or worse, wearing socks with sandals.

I actually used to do that last one. My mom hated it. Now that I'm older, wiser, and not always right I realize that in this case, she was.


This is my new favorite site: Sandals & Socks 4 Ever

4 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Janani said...

hahaha.
I love you.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Natasha, Love the article, keep on writing, I am enjoying your travels. Love you. Love Aunt Polly

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the ad obviously worked if you are still talking about it

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looool!

Yeah, I'm more the fashion over functional type, but have to admit that I don't know an anwer to your ad-question.

http://www.sandalandsoxer.co.uk/home.htm is great! But YOU where actually going out like that?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaarg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home