Saturday, January 21, 2006

I want my own mountain

Omg i'm never going snowboarding in Ontario again. I've been spoiled.

Today I took a trip (with Cora, Jimmy, Jarrett, Petar and Erik) to a ski hill called Fellhorn in Oberstdorf, which is right on the border of Austria and Germany, and it was the most amazing thing! I had to get up at 4:30 to catch a train at 5:14..yess....in the morning....but sooo worth it! It was a little over a 3 hour train ride to the mountain, but here they stop running at about 5. Probably because it'd be too expensive to light all the runs, whereas for all the hills i've been on in Ontario... well, lets compare them like this. A lady bug is to an elephant, as Blue mountain (in Barrie...best hill in Ontario) is to Fellhorn. And Erik told me Fellhorn was relatively small!!

So I threw myself at this particular mountain all day, and determed that i couldn't, after all, move it... No, it was ok, I didn't fall too hard :P Honestly though, the view was absolutely breath taking. I've never seen anything like it... I couldn't get over how incredibly gorgeous the mountains were..

There were a few times, including when we'd just arrived at the hill and were walking towards the lift pass.... I turned around and practically lost my breath at the view... To give you a better idea of the size of the mountain, my ears would pop when I went up the lifts. The weather at the top, was totally different from the weather at the bottom. It was amazing! There were times when i was actually looking down on other mountains.

And not that expensive really! 20 euros to rent the boarding equiptment, 24 euros (with my student card) for the lift pass, and 10 euros for the train. Score! I'm so going again... as much as my body hates me right now and will hate me tomorrow for what i've done to it today...it was sooo much fuuunn!

On the way there actually there were a lot of train parties going on.... Remember that this was at about 5:30 in the morning. People were having so much fun, laughing, being loud, DRINKING BEER....at 5:30 in the MORNING!!! It's such a different culture from that of say, Toronto. In Toronto nobody speaks to anybody at all. A group of friends ride the bus, and eveyrbody is silent. I slept on the train this morning...but! We had a little train party of our own on the way home. I have a feeling I'm going to go back to Canada at the end and forget that it's illegal to have a drink in public and get in big trouble :P

So now i'm back, and just a few seconds ago started to fall asleep at my desk.....Big mountains rock my socks (thinking of you jan, as I write this phrase ;) ) and make my body feel as though somebody has thrown rocks a ME all day!

love you all,

4 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! That must have been soooo cool:) any diamonds conquered? I was at the grouse mountain today (a mountain in north van). 10 hours of skiing on my brand new skis and in brand new boots. Visibility was soo bad, that some times I had to stop and wait till someone passes me by so I know which way the trail goes. It was just white and no because my glasses got foggy, it was white any way you looked!!! So Ski/Snowboard season is officially open!!!

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see some pictures Natasha!

Scott

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey tasha.. wow you went boarding? so cool.. unfortunately, i dont know how to ski or board, so going that high up the mountain would have freaked me out lol.. the 2nd time i went skiing in nelson (BC) i went up the chair lift and i felt sick! of course i fell getting off + took me like forever to get down the mountain + i cried. hahaha. im such a loser.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wowowowow
sounds like ur having the time of your life there haha
live it up!
-russel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home